Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Jog for the Jake

Man of oh man and I SUPER behind on blogging. I hate when this happens. Not sure what's going on, but I am in a pretty serious motivatin funk. Help me!! 

So 2 weeks ago was the Jog for the Jake race in Delaware Park. My mom and his new Beau were walking it as well. We picked up our race packets on Saturday the night before and got all set to leave early Sunday. This was the one race that we decided to bring the boys too, since it was fathers day, which was nice. Well we got there at about 8:45, 45 mintues before the race began. Delaware park is 1.5 miles around. It circles many areas, including our Buffalo zoo. So we run into a volunteer, ask where the starting line is, so we can hang out and acquint the boys to a new enviroment and he waves us this way, saying it's over that way. Ok..... never told us how far. So we walk. One 4 year walking, 2 year old in a stroller, Bag on my back with water, ipod etc, that eventually gets to hot to wear and ends up on the stroller. It's 9am and ALREADY 80+ degress out. No shade anyway. Direct HOT sun right on us. So we walk, and walk, and walk. About 1/2 around, we have NO idea where we should be. We are coming up to the zoo, I ask a security guy what time it was and where in the WORLD is the starting line?? He gives me the time of 9:20 (?????) WHAT????? He points me towards the starting line, right where we were when we GOT THERE! 
 
Mike & Caden walking 

I freaked out! I left the boys behind and had to RUN to the finsih line. It was at least 1/2 mile and I had already walked 1 mile! I was sweating my BUTT off, had to pee and still didn't have the chip on my sneaker! My ipod, water etc were still in the stroller but I didn't have time to go back to them! I was stressing. I ran, and ran, and ran. Found a port a potty with a line, got my chip on my shoe, went pee FAST and ran to the line. Got there and saw my mom and Jack waving to me. got to them, starting to say hey, I just walked/run 1.5 miles and then BANG! emoticon The gun goes off! WHAT???? Are you kidding me?? Run with NO Ipod and not even catch my breath??? My mom gave me hers and sent me on my way. I ran, and ran. I was exhausted and dehydrated Long before I even got through the first mile. I was bummed, with as hot as it was, the only water spot they had was back at the 1/2 mark back at where we started. I at least got to see Mike and the kids when I was coming in for water. I was dying. The water didn't cut it. 
 
Coming in for a water break 
 
Mom & Jack 1/2 way 

I ended up walking most of the way after that, I just couldn't push myself anymore, I ended up finishing in 42:03 - not my best time, but I was hot and in the end had ended up doing somewhere around a 7K race. 
0 
Waving as I am about to finish. 

The after party was amazing though! We had chicken, sliders, hotdogs, salad, cookies, ice cream! Tons of fun things for the kids to do and everything. I'll run this again next year and know where the starting line is!! Heres a few more pics! 
 
Col and I 
C  
me, my mom and Jack 
 
The boys 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment