Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Day 3 run complete

I braved the 20 degree weather last night and run outside. I HATE, absolutely HATE treadmill running, and track running just throws me off. I can't stand the include and I feel like I am accomplishing nothing running in the same tiny circle 90 times. So.. at 8:15 last night, I made hubby take the dog for a walk and go with me. I am scared to death to run alone at night in the dark. I don't mind if it's just getting dark, but by 8pm, it's been dark for 3 hours already, and it's DARK where I live. We don't have huge tall street lights that overhang the road, we only have little lantern ones, in front of every 4 or so houses every other side of the street, so dark it is.

I wasn't sure how to dress, never having ran in this cold before. So i wore a pair of loose yoga pants (because someone of my size shouldn't wear tight fitting ones), a tight wicking long sleeve shirt under a cotton t shirt and cotton spring jacket. I had a fleece headband on my ears and gloves on my hands. Was I cold? for the first 15-20 minutes my face was freezing. I wished i had a scarf to cover my mouth at least. My lips were ice. After that, I was fine. By the time I got home though, my legs were cold. I wish I had maybe a pair of running tights to wear under the yoga pants, that would be perfect. Since I don't have a pair, maybe i'll try putting a pair of shorts on under then next time. I wonder if they even make them for people of my size?? probably not :(

So - Mike decided to try running with me, since they were only 60 min intervals. I told him he should start with the zero to 5K, but he's determined that whatever I can do, he can do too. (even though he's never ran more then a few mins before) He did great the first 3 runs, 50/50 the 4th run and then he was pretty much done. LOL It's kind of empowering to me, that i can run all 9 of those intervals and not be out of breath of after, when he is struggling. It means I actually have somewhat conditioned my body for this. It makes me proud. Although I am WAY overweight, I am ABLE to do something that alot of people even half of my weight struggle to do. Although I completed Week 1 day 3, I am disappointed that I didn't complete 2 miles. If I took another route i could have, but I didn't. So in the end, here's my results. I love the NIKE app.

W1 Day 3
Run - Outside 23 degrees.
1.86 Miles complete
Ran for 28.13 mins.
burned 308 cals.
Pace of 15.09 - Keep in mind, this is slow because it's all interval right now. I am only running maybe 60% of the time.

Tonight - hoping to get to the gym to run the track (only because hubby is broke down with his work truck, in a whole different state, so I'd have to run alone in the dark.. no thank you) So Week 2 consists of more intervals  - 6 reps of 90 sec runs and 2 min walks between. Looking forward to starting it!

No comments:

Post a Comment