Sunday, May 9, 2010

My 2nd 5K!

 Yesterday was my 2nd 5k race. It was in support of Heritage Centers, which is an agency for special needs children/adults. Being a parent of 2 special needs little guys, this race was very important to me. I was hoping to beat my first time (39:19) But when I woke up and saw the weather, I was going to happy just finishing within an hour. It was about 45 degress (not to bad) but 50+mph winds, and we were in Downtown Buffalo, so much colder/windier. and then came the rain!! We got there, got our number and shirt, and then went and waited in the car, since it was too cold to wait outside! They did have a nice breakfast tent with apples, oranges, yogurt, cookies and coffee and tea. So we grabbed our stuff on the way to the car. My mom and daughter were walking the race in honor of the boys also. there were a TON of people. 

At about 9:45 we got out and went over to hit the port a potty's up before the race started, then went to line up. It was So COLD! then off we went. I kept up the pace pretty well. I knew who the people were infront of me and knew who I wanted to keep up with. I actually ran w/o stopping until just before the 1 mile mark. We had to go uphill (which I ran up and down) and just after that I had to stop and readjust. My ipod was sliding down my jacket, so I took the time to maneuver that and get it back inside and get my 2nd wind. the 1 mile mark was just as you crossed into the marina. It was SO windy. It was crazy. I felt like 1/2 my face was caved in! Then came the WAVES. OVER THE WALL. We got SOAKED. There was a lake erie warning before we left for high waves, there were not lying! All I could smell was lake erie by the time I got back. Running through the marina was just over 1 mile and they had a water stop at the 2 mile marker. I was glad, since I was soaked I really wanted to get some fresh water down my pipes!! {I learned after the race, that they closed the marina down because of the dangerous conditions and wouldn't let the walkers through, they had to turn them around so they didn't get the the entire route. I guess after the last runner went through, that was it} 

that last mile is always the hardest for me. This was no different. Then we turned the corner into the wind tunnel. Serisouly. It's a huge valley type, where when it's windy, it can pick you up and move you. I was scared! At one point I had to stop and hold onto to a mailbox, and another point to a tree trunk! I've never felt so light in my life! LOL A that point I was running right behind 2 other young girls. So I kept them in my sights. Once we turned the next corner, it wasn't windy anymore (well not like that one street anyway!!) AND I could see the cones WAY down there knowing it was almost over. then I saw my mom with our umbrella and Mike running towards me. I kicked it up in HIGH gear and BLEW by those 2 girls. Mike was yelling to me to hurry, I only at the 37 min mark NOW, I can still beat my first time! I RAN!!  I still had a corner to turn but I saw that timer going!! I ended up crossing the line at 39:09! Beating my last time by 10 seconds! I was so freaking excited. All I can think is that having the wind behind me half of the way helped me get done as fast as I did. I NEVER thought I would finish this one that fast!! And this is what happens to my hair between wind/sweat and rain. I get curls!! Haven't had them since I gave birth to my oldest 13 years ago! 

We had a quick lunch, very quick because it was POURING and the winds were worse them ever. It ripped the food tent and blew the garage cans over!! They were offering free massages too, which would have been great, but i was COLD and just wanted to get home!! I knew my time was 39:09, just didn't know what I placed. 

So today i went to the website to see my time, and they got it WRONG! I was so mad!! I know my actual time, so I know that is all that matters, but still. It has me finishing at 40:59 and that is so not even close. They even had the people around me wrong. Like saying that a man finsihed after me, and there was 1 girl before and 4 ladies after. So who ever did the times/boards was not paying attention I guess. It still bothers me though!! 

And here are some pictures to leave you with.   

2 comments: